- Debbie Jukes joins the team
- New fee based financial planning service introduced
- The Applewood events calendar expanded to see more interactive events – such as the Applewood golf day
What else happened in this year?
Annual UK Inflation: 1.07% CPI
Bank base rate:
- 8 February 5.7500 %
- 8 November 4.000 %
IHT threshold: £242,000
In the charts…
“It Wasn’t Me” by Shaggy was the best-selling single of the year, with “Pure and Simple” by Pop Idol winners “Hear Say” coming in second.
On the screen…
The first Harry Potter film was released – Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, grossing nearly $1 billion worldwide. The year also saw the release of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.
Around the world…
- January 20 – George W. Bush is sworn into office, succeeding Bill Clinton as President of the United States, over candidate contender Al Gore in the disputed U.S. presidential election, 2000.
- July 2 – The world’s first self-contained artificial heart is implanted in Robert Tools.
- September 11 – 2,977 victims are killed in the September 11 attacks at the World Trade Center in New York City, The Pentagon, and in rural Shanksville, Pennsylvania. The World Trade Center towers collapse as a result of the crashes.
In the UK…
- 9 January – Sven-Göran Eriksson begins his job manager of the England football team six months ahead of schedule.
- 19 February –The foot and mouth crisis begins.
- 16 May – Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott punches a protester who threw an egg at him in Rhyl.
- 7 June –Labour retains a second successive General Election landslide victory.