What else happened in this year?
Annual UK Inflation: 1.55% CPI
Bank base rate:
- 4 June 7.5000 %
- 10 December 6.2500 %
IHT threshold: £223,000
In the charts…
Cher’s Believe was the highest selling single of the year in UK.
On the screen…
The highest grossing film of the year was Armageddon by Touchstone Pictures – taking more than $500 million at the box office.
Around the world…
- 31 March – Rolls-Royce Motors acquired by German car manufacturer BMW
- 4 September – Google, Inc. is founded in California by Stanford University PhD candidates Larry Page and Sergey Brin
- December 16 – Iraq disarmament crisis: US President Bill Clinton orders airstrikes on Iraq
In the UK…
- 3 March – Millennium Dome construction begins
- 15 June – The first general-circulation issue of a two pound coin
- June – The DVD format is released on the UK market for the first time
A real highlight was being shortlisted for the Small Company IFA of the Year at the Money Marketing Awards, showcasing the firm as being one of the leading IFAs in Cheshire. This was some of the first industry recognition that the business received and has since been followed by a number of prestigious industry awards over the years – to see our recent awards click here.
This year also saw the formation of Applewood Group to significantly expand the business.
- Shortlisted for the Small Company IFA of the Year at the Money Marketing Awards 1998
- Applewood Group joined